School of Theatre Training
Sep 28, 2020 - Mar 13, 2021 | 20-week program | 2021-22 classes will go on sale late April 2021
School of Theatre Training (SOTT) is a comprehensive 20-week program for studying the skills and techniques of acting and musical theatre. Class offerings vary at every age level, guaranteeing there is an entry point for your student in the progression of classes.
- Masks required for all staff & students
- 9:1 student/teacher ratios
- Group singing replaced with Dance/Movement for Musical Theatre
Our curriculum is structured around the Stanislavski System, a method of performing truthfully onstage through a created set of imaginary circumstances. Telling an authentic story is part of our mission, and our teaching artists provide the tools to tell that story and meet the students “right where they are” in their development.
- Every session ends with a showcase for families and friends to see the materials SOTT students have explored throughout the year. Demonstrations of exercises and activities facilitated by both students and the Teaching Artists surround selections of monologues, scenes and songs.
- Every student is given a mid-point and end-of-year evaluation written by their teaching artist to track progress throughout the class. Additionally, class recommendations are given for the following year.
- OnStage is an opportunity for students to apply their skills in a professional theatre experience.
- We offer a limited number of full and partial scholarships for tuition for classes.
- For a more information about the program, read through the ►SOTT Handbook.
Plan your week - Check out the schedule for our 2020-21 classes.
These classes are available to all interested students; and include acting or musical theatre tracks. Students in these classes may enroll for multiple years at the Focus level before they are given a recommendation for Conservatory classes.Foundations | 3rd - 12th Grade | For students who are new to the SOTT program
Core | 4th - 12th Grade | For students who have completed a Foundations class
Focus | 5th - 12th Grade | For students who have completed a Core class
These classes are available by audition only and require outside assignments with a more rigorous commitment. Classes are conducted by a small group of master teaching artists, which allows for an in depth, yet flexible curriculum that meets the individualized needs of each student.
Dance and movement training is an essential part of an actor’s development. Conservatory students are encouraged to take dance classes through Children’s Theatre of Charlotte or another company. We also offer private voice lessons for students interested in one-on-one learning experiences.Learn More
Our education department recognizes consistent dance training is critical to an actor’s development but understand it can be overwhelming to a beginner. Additionally, we recognize that many young performers are not confident in their singing skills and that group classes can be intimidating.
Our dance classes are structured with the beginner in mind, laying the foundations to help our students feel more confident with terminology and choreography. Private Voice Lessons offer students the chance to work in a safe one-on-one setting until they are ready to perform in public or in front of others. These supplemental sessions are great entry points for new students or those continuing to make progress in their personal goals.Dance Classes | 5th - 12th Grade
Private Voice Lessons | 5th - 12th Grade
OnStage bridges the student's work in our classrooms with a professional theatre experience. This program is only open to students who enroll in School of Theatre Training. This performance experience affords students the opportunity to bring their training and talent to the stage and work alongside professional directors and designers.
This intensive five-week program occurs every spring and requires commitment from both students and parents. Open Enrollment students participate in a lottery to receive placement in OnStage. Conservatory students are exempt from the lottery and receive early registration into the program.Learn More